shabby blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

September: Promoted to Big Sister

September. What a month. Biggest excitement is that we got to announce our upcoming arrival this April. Baby number 2. So far things I have noticed as massively different with the second go around. By this point with Grace I had a pregnancy book I wrote everything down in.... and each ultra sound picture was cut apart and posted on the appropriate pages. This go around the ultra sounds are all hanging from the refrigerator and hopefully Grace doesn't wrinkle all of them. hehe. So I am using this post to write down the story so far, so I wont forget. It isn't a cute pregnancy book.... but we love this little itsy just the same.
 
 Here is the story:
I like to think God gets a bit of humor out of my so called "plans". I usually know exactly what I think will and should happen and He usually laughs and keeps me on my toes by planning something totally different.
My beautiful, amazing, independent, fierce, strong willed, curious first born came into this world knowing exactly what she wanted. She has taught me so much about genuine love, noticing the small sounds and sights, stopping to look at an ant on the side walk or waiting to feel the breeze on your face. She has also taught me about patience, patience when I tell her it's time to clean up and she crumples to the floor, patience when I remind her that she needs to sit in the booster, not in mommy's chair and she kicks her feet, patience when I want to go to the grocery store and she does not want to sit in the cart. When people first meet my sweet girl, they often say, I bet she keeps you busy! You. have. no. idea. Earlier this year if you had asked me if we were thinking of having another baby, I would have smiled and said, "Maybe someday... but for now have you met my daughter?" They would laugh and know exactly what I was talking about. I love my Grace with all of my heart and literally some days with all of my energy and strength.
God's first laugh. Sometime in March driving home from who knows where, it wasn't important, we pulled into our neighborhood and I started to cry. I have no idea why or where it came from but I could feel it. Our family wasn't finished and I needed to stop preventing God from doing his work. Three has been lovely, but it was time to be four.
With Grace we literally got pregnant the first month we tried. So of course my plans were in motion. Clearly the same would happen here and we would be having a baby in December. When I was late that first month I was convinced. I even went to the doctor and had blood work drawn, those silly tests at home were obviously missing something.
God laughed again, I have been running like it's my job these last months and have truly fallen in love with sweating, achy legs and eating healthier. I have loved getting a better body back after Grace then I had before her.... however my body was having a small disagreement with me. Turns out running can actually stop the "cycle" all together. I was late not by weeks but by months between each chance to get pregnant. It seemed like no matter what we were doing, my body did not want sync up and start regular cycles. I slowly stopped running. I still got out 3/4 times a week but each run was 2 miles at most, not the 7-9 miles I had grown accustom to. Even with giving up my long runs my body did not want to cooperate... so of course I made a plan.
 8 weeks.
Grace and I met with the doctor for a very, very long visit. I had no idea we would be there for 2 hours when I brought my tiny toddler with me. We came up with "a plan" and I of course was excited to know exactly what was going to happen. July 5th I would begin the process of infertility treatments. I was to take a pregnancy test to insure I was  not pregnant, then I would take some kind of pill to start the cycle, after that clomid would follow. Along with all this treatment there would be blood tests, ultrasounds, etc to make sure everything was working as it should. I was once again in control, and I knew what was going to happen.
July 5th came! Finally the day when my plan would begin. God laughed for a third time. A little plus sign showed up on that test. We couldn't believe it. Once again I was ready to start my plan and I again needed to realize I am not the one in control.
This pregnancy has been so different from Grace's in so many ways. The nausea is unbearable! I want to sleep all the time, except for at nights of course when I can not seem to find a comfortable position. Food in general does not appeal to me, until it does and then I am ravenous for everything.
 12 weeks.
Grace has been a gift through it all. We wanted to wait until I was out of the first trimester to announce our pregnancy, but once again God likes to laugh a little with our family. My belly popped out around 8 weeks. You may not notice but my 23 month old sure does. She immediately asked me if there was a baby in there. Of course we told her yes there was and that she would be a big sister. Without a second of hesitation she went and found her baby doll and brought it over to me. I thought she was showing me the baby but instead she lifted up her shirt and asked me to put the baby doll in there. We walk around like this most evenings now. Me with my belly already announcing to the world before I am ready to, HEY, There is a baby in here! And my sweet little mamas helper with a doll stuffed under her shirt.
Now we are at 12 weeks. My belly still continues to look huge (to me at least) People who are already guessing, always guess it is a boy. Who knows. I am pretty convinced it's another girl, but either way we will be so blessed. We got to see "Itsy" again yesterday and s/he was happy as can be. So much more calm then Grace was when we saw her at the same point. We are hoping it's a sign of a calm and peaceful number 2. :)
Ok now because I need to actually address what we DID this month, besides growing another baby that is, here are pictures of some of our favorite September moments. We had Grace's 2013 fall picture taken. We are so madly in love with this kiddo.
 
  
  
We have gone a couple Thursday nights and watched a free band play with Uncle Taylor. There are balloons and face painting! It was a lot of fun.
 
 We visited a pet store with Mimi and got a chance to look at all the animals!
 
  
Boppy, Taylor, Daddy, Mommy and Grace did the Electric Run when it came to Raleigh. We had glow sticks and ran through the dark. It was so much fun with everthing glowing!





Hanging out and playing with friends at various play dates.




Swinging is still a favorite activity... especially when Daddy does it. Daddy's are so much more fun. :)



Mommy and Daddy got to go on a fancy date night. Melting Pot AND a movie! We were out until almost 11!

Our first trip to a corn maze/pumpkin patch.










Always time to play with Mimi at Marbles. We had the whole place almost to ourselves! Which was great because my tiny tot wanted to do all the big kid stuff.

Sweet Grace,
Although moments of this month were trying, the majority of it was an amazing delight. You are talking so much these days. We understand 98% of what you are saying and you can follow and add to any conversation Daddy and I are having... which is very interesting. :) Half of the time you are talking in 3 and 4 word sentences, the other half you still use one word to get what you want. You have reached a new level of independence and being a big helper! I know can ask you to go get things for me and you run away and come back with socks or whatever else I need. You still love to test the boundries, but in general you want to do "good" and be praised for it. Now that my hormones are leveling out I am being a better Mommy, more patient and more fun. Thank you for baring with me this month. I love you so much.
xoxo
Mommy & Daddy
--------
Itsy Bitsy Baby,
This is my first love letter to you. There are so many things I would love to already know about you. What are you going to be like? Who will you look like? How will our family change once you are here? We wanted so badly to have you, and then when we finally found out we were pregnant I was a little scared. I don't know what to expect and I am learning that it's ok not to. When we saw you yesterday I realized my nerves were silly. No matter what you bring to our family, if you are more challenging then your sister, or if you are the perfect child, we will figure it out. I saw all five little fingers on your hand. I saw your tiny nose. You waved at us. I fell in love. I can't wait to find out if you are a boy or girl at the end of October. We love you tiny one. Our sweet baby I.
xoxo
Mommy & Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Kendall! I am just simply so happy that you are pregnant, and so sorry that you are nauseous. Just remember if you ever need some support, there is a Colorado girl that KNOWS what its like to throw up everyday and not want to eat food (until that double fried sandwich looks amazing and you eat 3) Trust me.......been there! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete